Re: Citing Octave in Publication

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Citing Octave in Publication
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 13:03:32 -0500

Hi,

On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 18:21 +0900, Elena Tsomko wrote:
> My question is: what should I do in order to comply with the GNU
> Free Documentation License?

The Octave manual is actually not under the GFDL. The license for the
manual says,

   Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of
   this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission
   notice are preserved on all copies.

   Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of
   this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided
   that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the
   terms of a permission notice identical to this one.

   Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this
   manual into another language, under the above conditions for
   modified versions.

So you're allowed to modify it and distribute it as long as you keep
that notice intact.

To cite Octave, please run the `citation` function from the Octave
interpreter. For me it reads,

    To cite GNU Octave in publications use:

      John W. Eaton, David Bateman, Søren Hauberg, Rik Wehbring (2016).
      GNU Octave version 4.2.0 manual: a high-level interactive language
    for
      numerical computations.
      URL http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/

    A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is:

      @manual{,
        title     = {{GNU Octave} version 4.2.0 manual: a high-level
interactive language for numerical computations},
        author    = {John W. Eaton and David Bateman and S{\o}ren Hauberg and
Rik Wehbring},
        year      = {2016},
        url       = {http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter},
      }

    We have invested a lot of time and effort in creating GNU Octave,
    please cite it
    when using it.  See also `citation pkgname' for citing Octave packages.

That should be sufficient, and thanks for citing Octave!