Datatype of random poisson-distributed numbers

From: stn021
Subject: Datatype of random poisson-distributed numbers
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 15:27:31 +0100

Hello,

this is a question for me to better understand the inner workings of octave.

The function randn() produces random numbers with poisson-distibution.

It is also possible to add the parameter "single" oder "double".
Then the result will be of the corresponding class.

My question is: when is that useful?
Poisson-distributed variables are by definition integers so it should not make any difference.

Could you give me an example where it does make a difference?

THX
stn