Re: MATLAB-C program including mex files compilation in Octave

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: MATLAB-C program including mex files compilation in Octave
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 06:58:45 -0700 (MST)

Priyanka Akavaram wrote
> Hello,
>
> I am a new octave user. I have been trying to execute a MATLAB - C program
> which included mex files in OCTAVE. The program is about retrieving the
> data from hardware. But I am unable to execute it. I went through the
> online resources from GNU and a few other forums and came to know that in
> octave we require a 'mkoctfile'. Is this correct? If so, how should I add
> this to my existing .c file and how should I execute this?
> Does this require any packages or conversion of files?
> Is there any other way other than using 'mkoctfile'?
>
> Please help me with this. so that I can proceed further.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Priyanka Akavaram.

Dear Priyanka Akavaram,

>From a "standard" Octave installation you can call both `mkoctfile` and
`mex` directly from the command line. `mex` is nothing more than a script to
properly call `mkoctfile` for mex-files in a Matlab compatible way and
`mkoctfile` is a program, that properly calls your system's compiler.

Assuming you are using Linux, some distributions like Ubuntu and many more
split Octave into several packages, that are not all installed by default.
In case you are using Debian or Ubuntu you have to install `liboctave-dev`
to get this feature [1].

Please tell us which operating system and method of Octave installation you
chose, then we are able to help you.

Best,
Kai

[1] https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/liboctave-dev