Re: Using Octave functions in C environment

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: Using Octave functions in C environment
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 17:08:56 +0000

> On 7 Nov 2017, at 16:06, Himaja Kodati <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I intend to use existing Octave functions (written by me) from a C
> environment.
> From what I have understood, .oct and .mex files are used to do the reverse.
> i.e., use C code in Octave environment.
>
> Kindly help me with the solution
>
> Regards,
> Himaja

Hi,

Octave works well with C++ I'm not sure how to deal with C.
If C++ is OK for you, you have two options.

If you just need to use functons built into liboctave you can
create a standalone executable linking to liboctave as shown here:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/558de6a42ff7/examples/code/standalone.cc

and compile it with

mkoctfile --link-stand-alone

If you need to run interpreted m-files from within your application you can
embed the
interpreter into your application as shown here:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/558de6a42ff7/examples/code/embedded.cc

please be aware that the syntax for embedding the interpreter has changed
really a lot
lately so how to do it depends on the exact version of Octave you are working
with

HTH,
c.