Re: PIN diode newton sec1d problem

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: PIN diode newton sec1d problem
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 14:49:59 +0000

> On 2 Nov 2017, at 15:12, Tijmen Kroezen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Carlo,
>
> Thanks for your reply! I have some results to analyze and work with now.
> Could you perhaps elaborate a bit further on why did you suggested:
>
> V_p = -.1 ;    ?

that is just an example of a non-zero bias, with V_p = V_n = 0 both quasi-Fermi
levels are everywhere 0 and it
is less informative to look at the initial guess.

> I was of the understanding that V_p and V_n were the positive and negative
> contact voltages but is this incorrect?

your understanding was correct, you can set V_p to any value but if you start
with a
strong positive or negative bias convergence may be difficult.

Your idea of starting from thermal equilibrium, i.e. V_p = V_n = 0, is correct.
You should then apply small bias steps by modifying the the fermi levels you
obtain
from the simulation and adapting the electric potential so that
Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics
are satisfied.

> Thanks so much sir,
>
> Tijmen