Re: Package Install Problems

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Package Install Problems
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 12:58:42 -0700 (MST)

Thomas D. Dean-2 wrote
> I have a problem with the linear-algebra, general, and miscellaneous
> packages.
>
> Octave 4.3.0+ as of September 2, 2017.
>
> I have installed these packages on another system. (see below)
>
> The general package fails
>
> octave:3> pkg install -forge general
> unpackfields.cc: In function ‘octave_value_list Funpackfields(const
> octave_value_list&, int)’:
> unpackfields.cc:78:37: error: ‘symbol_table’ has not been declared
>             octave_value struct_val = symbol_table::varval (struct_name);
>

> I think I must have some setup missing, etc.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Tom Dean
>
> =================================================================================
> On a different Ubuntu 16.04 system:
>
> P9X79> /usr/local/bin/octave
> GNU Octave, version 4.3.0+
> [...]

There have been API breaking changes related to the symbolic table in the
passed weeks [1] and the general package makes heavy use of Octave-internals
[2].  Before the next official release this package might need some
attention.  Until that I am afraid, that there is: "Dependencies: Octave >=
4.0.0 && <= 4.2.1".

If you want to fix these issues, you can modify [2] by prefixing "octave::"
before each symbol_table [3] as it was moved to that namespace.

HTH, Kai

[1]: https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/log?rev=symbol_table
[2]:
https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/general/ci/default/tree/src/packfields.cc