Re: Speed of odsread

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Speed of odsread
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 04:00:03 -0700 (MST)

(Hey I did send a reply though Nabble bit it didn't arrive. Attempt #2)

hjborsje wrote
> I'm comparing the speed of loading a LibreOffice (*.ods) spreadsheet in
> Octave and MATLAB.  The results are so vastly different that I wonder if
> I'm
> doing it correctly.  A spreadsheet with 1900 rows, 23 columns takes 135
> seconds in Octave. In Matlab 5.5 seconds.   A larger spreadsheet of 60,000
> 23 takes 10.5 seconds in Matlab. Octave did not finish after 10 minutes.
> run Octave 4.2.1 with all the latest packages on Windows 10.  I enter:
> [s,~,~,~] = odsload ('MySpreadsheet.ods',1);  Adding a third and fourth
> parameters makes no significant difference.

What spreadsheet I/O "interface" did you use? and windows 32 or 64 bit?

The "native" spreadsheet I/O interface ("OCT") for .ods is know to be
pathetic as regards speed. In addition .ods is an almost equally
pathetically complex file format.

The fastest interface for .ods we've got on offer is jOpendocument, but it
is Java-based.
Until Octave has better functions for morphing heterogeneous Java data
structures into Octave cell arrays (maybe, sometime) we cannot beat matlab
with its Excel backend.

Philip