Re: Path bug?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Path bug?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 09:48:44 -0400

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 9:17 AM, gciriani <address@hidden> wrote:
NJank wrote
> The former is the short name version . It is how windows stores long
> filenames to maintain compatibility.

The former is not how Windows stores the filename but the way Octave
displays it when I type the function path. I would understand an
abbreviation, but if you notice there is a difference after the
abbreviation; the former shows 1.1, the later shows 2.1, which is what I
can't figure out.

It may be explained by the way the tilde expansion "~" works; see
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Tilde-Expansion.html
However, even after reading the manual explanation, it still escapes me.

It has nothing to do with tilde expansion.  it is the method windows chose to use to bridge the short-to-long filename transition back in the Windows 95. Maybe this is a better wiki explanation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_filename

Both versions:

C:\Octave\OCTAVE~1.1\
C:\Octave\Octave-4.2.1\

point to the same location and are equally valid as far as windows is concerned.

open a command prompt, go to c:\octave, and type:

dir /x

the /x will display the short names stored along with the long names for any files and directories.