for loop taking output as input for the next iteration in loop

From: naryana.shankara
Subject: for loop taking output as input for the next iteration in loop
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 19:46:08 -0700 (MST)

Here's my code:
%hwk1_6
clc
clear all
A = [1 1; 1 0]
X = [1 0; 0 1]
for a = 1:5
    X*A

end

My lab partner and I spent about an hour and a half trying to get octave to
take the output and then use it as the new input in this fashion:
Compute X k+1 = AX k , for k = 1, 2, . . . , 5 using a for loop and report
the results for each
k in the work you turn in.

We tried various methods and either got errors or whiskey tango foxtrot.  We
both know we're missing so simple.  Can you provide assistance?