Textscan Stops for Missing Data

From: gciriani
Subject: Textscan Stops for Missing Data
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 18:34:07 -0700 (MST)

I'm reading a large tab-delimited file with a mix of text and numbers. It
seems that Textscan does a better job than other solutions, especially
because of the format %q and some text data are enclosed in quotation marks.
However, where data are missing Textscan stops. Matlab seems to be able to
keep going, but Octave stops. I tried a few of the options to no avail, and
probably I do not understand their functioning properly.
fID = fopen("C:/Users/Giovanni/Documents/exmod.tab.txt");
C = textscan (fID, "%q %q %f %q %f %q %f % f%"...
      ,"HeaderLines", 1 ...
      ,"EmptyValue", NaN ...
      ,"Delimiter", "\t"...
      ,"ReturnOnError", true...%default value not needed
      );
Any suggestion is appreciated.

-----
Giovanni Ciriani