Re: Read serial data directly into Octave

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Read serial data directly into Octave
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 18:03:51 -0400

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 5:32 PM, themattdiaz <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to have Octave read data from a serial port and then create a
figure with this data. When I run this program all I get is a blank figure
with no data on it. Is there any errors in my code below? Please let me
know.

Thank you

page_screen_output(0);
page_output_immediately(1);
pkg load instrument-control
close all
clear all
clc
ch1 = serial("COM4", 9600);
set(ch1,"bytesize", 7)
set(ch1,"stopbits", 2);
srl_flush(ch1);
i = 1;
srl_write(ch1, "F");
y=0;
x=0;

READY = yes_or_no ("Ready to test? \n");

 t=0;
 t2=360;
 fig_data = [0,0];
dt = 0.02;
h =figure(2);
b1 = uicontrol (h, "string", "Start Test", "position",[10 0 150
20],"callback","uiresume(h)");
b2 = uicontrol (h, "string", "End Test", "position",[200 0 350
20],"callback","break");

uiwait(h);
tic;
unwind_protect
 while t < t2
sleep (dt)
    srl_write (ch1,"?");
    y_raw = strtrunc(char(srl_read(ch1,11)),7);
    y_serial = -1* str2num(y_raw);
    i = i + 1;

where is i  used?

plot(fig_data(:,1),fig_data(:,2));
grid on;
title('90 Degree Peel Test');
xlabel('Time (s) ');
ylabel('Pull Force (lbs)');
it seems to me that you are using t two different ways
t seems to be a counter from 1 to 360 in steps of dt
but you are using it for the results of toc
which do you want??
I can't run it so these are just some guesses.

t = toc;
fig_data = [fig_data;t,y_serial];

t = t + dt;

endwhile
unwind_protect_cleanup
t_end = t;

csvout =  "Data2.csv";
dlmwrite(csvout,fig_data,",");
result_area_t = area_under_peel_time(fig_data,t_end);
result_area = area_under_peel(fig_data,t_end);
end_unwind_protect
af = num2str(result_area_t);

msgbox(strcat("Chart Area:  ",af,' Pound-Seconds','
Time:',num2str(t_end)));
close(h);
srl_close(ch1)