Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

From: Cameron Taggart
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 21:53:02 +0300

I tried out Flatpak, Snap, and AppImage. Flatpak appears to be pulling ahead and it was my favorite. What really sold me on it was that MonoDevelop has adopted it for its previews [1]. I tried it out and it worked great.

My hope, was that I'd be able to host my build of Octave here in my S3 and then I could run it from any supported Linux.

flatpak install --from https://s3.amazonaws.com/ctaggart/flatpak/octave
flatpak run org.gnu.Octave

I got Octave 4.2.1 source building on Ubuntu 17.04, but that is as far as I got. I ran through the Flatpak tutorial and looked at a bunch of the examples [2].

[1] http://www.monodevelop.com/download/linux/
[2] https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/wiki/Examples

Unfortunately, I need to put this aside and find a new remote job. :-/

Distributing nightlies and official builds via Flatpak would be awesome for Octave users.

cheers,
Cameron

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 10:53 AM, roland65 <address@hidden> wrote:
John W. Eaton wrote
>  Or maybe we could work more
> toward a "universal binary" that would work on any system.  Contact me
> privately and we can discuss it further.

Thanks for you detailed and argumented answer. I understand the technical
limitations and respect your position, of course.

I'm not much aware of the various ways to distribute system independent
binaries (I only know the static binaries way). So what is the purpose of
mxe-octave?

And do you think that snap or flatpack packages could be a solution?

Thanks!