Re: Calling plot() consistently crashes octave - Why?

From: david
Subject: Re: Calling plot() consistently crashes octave - Why?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:13:23 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you, mike, for your suggestions.

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        4.5
Codename:       wheezy

It is a wheezy distribution.

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> Do you have a ~/.octaverc? Are you explicitly choosing to make gnuplot
> the default graphics_toolkit?

Yes.      Yes, I added the line
*graphics_toolkit("gnuplot")*
to my ~/.octaverc.   So the one in my octave script is redundant.

After reading your suggestions, I entered the three bash commands you
suggested.   Then I added
gnuplot-qt using apt.     Then I reran octave exactly as earlier.    Octave
crashed in exactly the same way.

Then, I separated sin(x) from the line with the plot() call.    This
verified that the plot() call is what made octave crash.

plot() has been in octave for many versions.    It should work in 3.8 as
well as in 4.x, shouldn't it?   Maybe the
next reasonable step would be to remove the*graphics_toolkit("gnuplot")
*line from both
~/.octaverc and my octave script, and run the example again and see what
happens.  I think I will try that next.