Calling plot() consistently crashes octave - Why?

From: david
Subject: Calling plot() consistently crashes octave - Why?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:09:17 -0700 (PDT)

*Cannot get plot() to work in octave 3.8.2*

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

Am an imtermediate linux user.   Am experienced using both matlab and
octave.

Now I just installed octave onto a newly released (Jun 10, 2017)Debian linux
distro.

$ uname -a
Linux neptune 4.9.30 #6 SMP PREEMPT Sun May 28 18:35:23 CEST 2017 x86_64
GNU/Linux

Am running GNU Octave, version 3.8.2 in a bash shell, on a 64-bit quad-core
CPU.   That's the version which #apt-get install octave installed.

I also installed gnuplot using #apt-get install gnuplot because I thought
that if plot doesn't work in octave, maybe I could use gnuplot as a separate
program to plot data saved to a file.

$ octave
GNU Octave, version 3.8.2
Copyright (C) 2014 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type 'warranty'.

Octave was configured for "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/get-involved.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.
For information about changes from previous versions, type 'news'.

octave:1> graphics_toolkit
ans = gnuplot
octave:2> who
Variables in the current scope:

ans

octave:3> pkg describe all
error: could not find any INDEX file in directory
/home/george/octave/gnuplot-1.0.1, try 'pkg rebuild all' to generate missing
INDEX files
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.2/m/pkg/private/parse_pkg_idx.m at line 32,
column 5
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.2/m/pkg/private/describe.m at line 60, column
39
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.2/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 526, column 11
octave:3> pkg rebuild all
octave:4> pkg describe all
error: could not find any INDEX file in directory
/home/george/octave/gnuplot-1.0.1, try 'pkg rebuild all' to generate missing
INDEX files
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.2/m/pkg/private/parse_pkg_idx.m at line 32,
column 5
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.2/m/pkg/private/describe.m at line 60, column
39
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.2/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 526, column 11
octave:4> pkg list
Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
--------------+---------+-----------------------
     gnuplot  |   1.0.1 | /home/george/octave/gnuplot-1.0.1
        plot *|   1.1.0 | /usr/share/octave/packages/plot-1.1.0
octave:5> pkg update
octave:6> exit

I downloaded gnuplot-1.0.1.tar.gz from
https://octave.sourceforge.io/gnuplot/ and installed it with octave as
follows:
>pkg install matlab_octave/octave/gnuplot-1.0.1.tar.gz
and got lots of warnings!

PROBLEM:

Every time I call plot() from octave, octave crashes with the same
error message:

and returns to the bash shell.

I have gotten this exact same error message each and every time I called
plot() from octave.

Did I forget to do something important?  Or is this version of octave old
and broken?    Please comment if you have any suggestions on what else I can
try.    I have been trying to figure out what I may have forgotten
to do in setting up octave, but cannot find the missing link in my written
log.     Did I overlook something simple ?