New user needs help

From: Daniel Collins
Subject: New user needs help
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 19:57:21 -0400

Folks,

                I have recently installed 64-bit GNU Octave onto my I7 Windows 7 machine; I think that it is very similar to MatLab, with which I have experience.  I had to download and install Notepad++ so that I could edit the program and run it in the CLI.  I don’t seem to be getting any computations from the Octave program, which I have named first.m.  I run the program as I would run a MatLab script, but there is no output to my text file, first.txt.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks.

-Daniel J. Collins