Largest Matrix Size for Octave

From: evansste
Subject: Largest Matrix Size for Octave
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 09:57:07 -0700 (PDT)

I've done some online searching, and according to a 6-year-old post, it seems
that the largest acceptable matrix size for Octave is 2^31-2 elements, which
would use about 16 GB of RAM.  Is this still the case, or do current
versions of Octave allow 2^48-1 elements?

The 2^48-1 number was obtained from the following post that I saw about
MATLAB's limitations:

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/91711-what-is-the-maximum-matrix-size-for-each-platform

This post shows a chart, which gives the above numbers I just mentioned.

Here's the 6-year-old Octave post that I talked about:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/memory-td3427479.html

It was from this post that I got the 16 GB number, which leads me to think
that this correlates to 2^31-2 elements, based on the MATLAB post.

Both of these posts are old.  Does anyone know whether or not Octave now
supports matricies which contain 2^48-1 elements?

Thanks so much for your time.