Re: ENC: Trouble with symbolic on the Octave

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: ENC: Trouble with symbolic on the Octave
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 08:22:32 -0700

On 12/06/17 08:10 AM, Paulo Roberto wrote:
I'm studying a discipline where we have to do calculations in Matlab. I preferred to use Octave because it's a free software and the book I use is one about Matlab (Matlab An Introduction with Applications by Amos Gilat).

My OS is Windows 7, the Octave is 4.2.1, the Symbolic Package is 2.5.0 and to implement Symbolic Math, I use the Anaconda Package, which has the version 2.7.13 of Python and 1.0 for SymPy. But since the commands I've quotes are not implemented in Octave, I'll leave them aside and go on...

Even better, would be to file a bug for the missing "collect" function at:

https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/issues

Your other two examples should work using "expand" and "simplify" respectively.

Note: there is no expectation that simplify-type commands work the same in different software platforms, different versions etc: AFAIK, its not a well-defined operation.

Colin