Re: Creating executables in Octave

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: Creating executables in Octave
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 16:00:52 +0000

> On 6 Jun 2017, at 01:54, jasim <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
> I am trying to create a stand alone executable of an Octave file. Can any
> one tell if this is possible and if so, how to do it? Thanks.

Do I understand correctly that you want to transform your code which is now an
interpreted m-file into a standalone executable?

If so the answer depends on why you want to do that.

1) If the purpose is to make the code run faster, the answer is :
   maybe it is possible but it will not be done automatically, you will have to
rewrite some of your code in C++ yourself.

2) If the purpose is to distribute your code to people who do not have Octave
installed, the answer is :
   no, it is not possible as the stand alone executable will necessarily
require at least liboctave to be installed
   and possibly the interpreter as well.

3) If the purpose is to distribute your code as an executable without source
code, the answer is :
   no, it is not possible because standalone executables are derivative work of
liboctave therefore they must be distributed under GPL.

HTH,
c.