Re: I have modified firls.m to include all types of FIRs plus HT and dif

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: I have modified firls.m to include all types of FIRs plus HT and diff
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 15:02:15 -0400

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 1:28 PM, je suis <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I managed to modify firls.m such that it now allows all types of FIRs,
> I to IV, plus differentiators and Hilbert transformers. It also allows
> forbidden filters, such as type II highpass, or similar. Just because
> the result won't be a highpass it doesn't mean one should not allow
> it: it is assumed that the user knows what he/she/it wants and how to
> get it, the option is there; if not, maybe it's better to do something
> else. Also, while I could verify in parallel the results in wxMaxima
> (slightly more accustomed to), I don't know if the results are,
> indeed, real, so it would be nice if someone who has access to Matlab
> can verify this.

I could help with that, but I know nothing about the intended function
of the file.  I notice you don't have any self-tests at the end. Could
you peek at some other functions to get an idea of example tests to
add? Ideally they would test for both things expected to work and
things expected to error out. Tests that it produces expected trivial
outputs, and maybe a few examples testing Matlab output compatibility
(e.g., examples from their public documentation, help, etc.) I seem to
recall Octav's quadgk function having a decent set of tests you could
use an examples to make your own.

If you sent a set of test matlab commands I could give you the output
to compare against your function.