Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

From: ajiten
Subject: Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 06:52:28 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for your reply.
I had plan to install octave long back, but could not do it at that time &
just downloaded that version's file.
I feel by your answer that the two environment variables were not needed in
the first place, as you have stated : 'security changes that prevent older
versions of the pkg command from automatically fetching packages from the
website. '
--------
I have downloaded and installed the 4.2.1 version for 64 bit , and it is
cool in terms of package installation easily done after rebuild using
command: pkg rebuild . But, the web-page
(http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows) still states that :

A bug in the Windows builds currently prevents Octave from automatically
retrieving packages from the website for installation or updates. This will
be fixed in the next Octave release. Until then, manual package installation
is necessary to update or install new packages on Windows.

---So, it means that the issue is still there and only the packaging has
solved the issue. If I need to download something in future, then I will
face the same issue presumably again!
So, the command :  "pkg install -forge io"  will not work again. I tried the
same, & octave after a long duration responded:
"For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run
'news io'."
On running : "news io", the newest version is stated to be : io-2.4.7, while
mine is : io-2.4.5.
Is there any way available to upgrade rather than wait for the promised fix
in the next version.

Best regards.