unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

From: ajiten
Subject: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 05:06:33 -0700 (PDT)

I am a complete beginner for programming.
I have installed octave 3.8.2 in Windows 7.
If I use the command,  pkg install -forge io, then I get the error:

error: get_forge_pkg: could not read URL, please verify internet connection
error: called from:
error:
E:\Octave\Octave-3.8.2\share\octave\3.8.2\m\pkg\private\get_forge_pkg.m at
line 76, column 7
error:
E:\Octave\Octave-3.8.2\share\octave\3.8.2\m\pkg\private\get_forge_download.m
at line 26, column 12
error:   E:\Octave\Octave-3.8.2\share\octave\3.8.2\m\pkg\pkg.m at line 385,
column 29

As being a newbie, I tried to google out; & accordingly put values of
environment variables: http_proxy & http_port; although did not check if
there was already there some value beforehand. May be octave picks up
automatically values (cannot at least tell now!).
Anyway, the error persists with the same description.