Symbolic Package Display

From: Thomas D. Dean
Subject: Symbolic Package Display
Date: Sat, 6 May 2017 09:29:20 -0700

I use X and command line octave on Linux.  Seems like the interaction of
the GUI, me, and other applications have difficulties.  I frequently
cut/paste between applications in multiple xterms.  Anyway, I prefer the
command line.

The output of the symbolic package is not useful.

From a previous post:

octave:478> [x1 y2]=solve(eq1,eq2,x,y)
x1 = (sym)

  2â
  âââ

octave:488> x1
x1 = (sym)

  2â
  âââ

octave:489> x1.ascii
ans = 2*b
---
octave:490> disp(x1)
  2â
  âââ
octave:491> y2.ascii
ans = 3*b

Is there some setting that will change this?

Tom Dean