Re: Help Plotting Symbolic Vector Fields with Substitutions

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: Help Plotting Symbolic Vector Fields with Substitutions
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 22:48:12 -0700

On 18/04/17 06:23 PM, WARDEVIL_UFO wrote:
Hi Mike, and everyone!  After some more hours of digging, and putting puzzle
pieces together, one by one, I was able to  construct another way!It looks
like the key to converting a symbolic function to a form that is usable by
quiver3 is by using function_handle() or equivalently, matlabFunction().  My
corrected code is below:

Nice! "function_handle(...)" is indeed the preferred way to numerically evaluate a symbolic expression for a large number of inputs.

I think it would be good if the documentation of "subs" pointed to "function_handle" to make this more discoverable.

I filed a bug to do that: https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/issues/779. Since this is fresh on your mind, perhaps you could suggest a short paragraph for "help subs" perhaps with a simple example?

Another option: we could overload @sym/quiver3.

thanks,
Colin