Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 08:11:36 -0700

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 00:02:12 -0700, roland65 wrote:
> As a long time Linux user (more than 20 years), I'm a bit disapointed to see
> that something easy in Windows is so difficult to do on Linux...

I'm disappointed that's the way you interpreted my answers.

Building the Octave installer for Windows has been an extremely
difficult project from what I have followed, and continues to be an
ongoing effort to maintain and improve it. The fact that it is easy for
someone to download and install it on their system depends on many
uncounted hours of effort by many volunteers.

If someone wanted to adapt this project to make an all-in-one installer
for GNU/Linux, it would probably be easier than it has been for Windows.

If you want to try adapting this project to make such a build of Octave,
please go ahead. You might start with http://wiki.octave.org/MXE and
http://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave.

The only reason one is easier than the other, for you, is because the
maintainers decided it is necessary for Windows but not for GNU/Linux,
because distributions are already doing their job.

--
mike