Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 10:04:29 +0200

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:03:33AM -0700, roland65 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on Windows, Octave 4.2.x + all packages are available in one big zip archive
> or exe install. So, it's straightforward to install the whole thing.
>
> On Linux, I didn't find any place to download Octave 4.2.x + all packages.
> Distributions like Debian or Ubuntu still provide 4.0.x and individual
> packages.
>
> So, I believe we should have the same facility as in Windows to install the
> latest Octave + packages in one single binary archive, just like LibreOffice
> or Mozilla Firefox.

On Windows there is currently no other way. On GNU/Linux, it's up to
the distribution to provide binaries. The reason that Octave itself
doesn't distribute current binaries for GNU/Linux distributions is
probably that it's relativley easy to build a current Octave on
GNU/Linux, compared to the effort to make a distribution-specific
binary. As for Octave Forge packages, I don't think that all of them
are provided for Windows. And since each package has its own dynamic
it is adequate to provide them separately.

If you see a need for current GNU/Linux binaries provided by Octave
itself, I'd say that would be something that has to be payed for (not
me).

Olaf