Re: Downloading Octave on Mac

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: Downloading Octave on Mac
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 18:03:48 -0400

Hi Guy,

Take a look at the Homebrew manpage at <http://docs.brew.sh/Manpage.html>.
You should be able to install Octave with the terminal command
   ~$ brew install octave

Here is the way I start Homebrew on Terminal to see if there are any Octave
upgrades for my system. I am doing it right now:

   Last login: Sun Apr  9 19:49:32 on ttys000
   ~$ brew doctor
   Your system is ready to brew.
   ~$ brew update
   Updated 3 taps (caskroom/cask, homebrew/core, homebrew/science).
   ==> Updated Formulae
   …

Now I see a whole list of “formulae” that have been updated.
"homebrew/science/octave” is not in the list.
My current Homebrew version of Octave is 4.2.1_1.
That is the latest stable version I guess.

In any case I upgrade what needs to be upgraded in my system.
   ~$ brew upgrade
   ==> Upgrading 1 outdated package, with result:
   pango 1.40.5
   ==> Upgrading pango
   ==> Downloading
https://homebrew.bintray.com/bottles/pango-1.40.5.sierra.bottle.
100.0%
   ==> Pouring pango-1.40.5.sierra.bottle.tar.gz
   🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/pango/1.40.5: 105 files, 5.0MB
OK. So I’ve upgraded pango. This probably has something to do with
Octave/Gnuplot graphics. Who knows?

In summary, the Homebrew system does work for me.

Regards,

Vic