Re: Downloading Octave on Mac

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Downloading Octave on Mac
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 23:40:46 -0700 (PDT)

Guy Denton wrote
> Dear Help Octave,
>
> I am trying to download Octave on my MacBook Air but cannot seem to do
> this from the Octave site. I have tried from Source Forge but it will not
> open on my computer because the source is not verified. I hope you can
> help,
>
> Guy
>
> (I really don’t want dodgy software on my computer)

This is Apple FUD. The octave binary does not have a *signature* since it
requires paying a fee. However, even software with signature is not
necessarily *verified* by Apple. Only Apps in the Appstore are verified but
Opensource licenses are incompatible with the Appstore license requirements
so there is not going to be an Octave in the Appstore (you may search the
mailing list to find discussions on this matter).

Regarding buying a signature key: I am not aware of many open source
projects that are willing to pay for this. In either case, you have to trust
us or to compile it by yourself as Vic pointed out (e.g. using homebrew).
However, this is only more secure if you check the source code before
compiling.

Bye
Sebastian