Re: octave going parallel

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: octave going parallel
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 20:23:19 +0200

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 07:19:22PM +0200, christoph wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone experience in doing parallel application with  octave? As I have
> 32 threads available in Linux it is poor seeing octave just using one core!
> I used parcellfun already and it seems to work fine, my question would be,
> what will happen if I use parcellfun in a function and call this function in
> a  pararrayfun.
>
> ss=[array]
>
> tt=pararray(32,@calculate,ss);
>

> *calculate* is a function like
>

> function[tt]=calculate(matrix,varargin)
>
> do some code
>
> do more code
>
> then call
>
> pattern = parcellfun (30, @findpattern,sliced_matrix);
>
> do more code
>
> even more code
>
> endfunction
>
> Is this going to work??
>
> What is going to happen when a parfunction calls a parfunction ??

It should work. But your example may generate up to 960 computing
child processes, which the kernel has to schedule to your 32 cores. If
you still get a speedup depends on your code and your machine and has
to be tested.

Note that Octave may internally parallelize certain steps of
computation even without being told so.

Olaf