Re: Figure handle is very slow, saving impossible

From: Kire Pudsje
Subject: Re: Figure handle is very slow, saving impossible
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 21:01:15 +0200

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 7:39 PM, christoph <address@hidden> wrote:

Thank you for your fast answer,

yes I do understand, but 400MB of data should not be of any concern on a modern machine, with a graphic card which has let's say 3 gigabyte of memory?

Concerned my printing problem.

It turns out that my Figure looks like this on the screen.

The amount of memory is not the issue, but for a 'surface' you are constantly sending data from the CPU to the graphics card. Probably the CPU has to do a little work as well, so DMA is probably not happening. The cache will probably be flushed al the time.
Games also still have a problem uploading large amounts of data, but they usually tend to 'hide' this by using (nonskippable) cutscenes

I see that you are not using  the 'perspective' view. then why not use imagesc instead? This should be faster.
Also try 'saving' the image with print -d and try using any of the other devices, pdf, png, or any of the cairo devices, ...