Re: User Interface (GUI) creation: looking for an alternative to GUIDE b

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: User Interface (GUI) creation: looking for an alternative to GUIDE by Matlab
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 11:33:50 -0700 (PDT)

giavux wrote
> Hi all,
>
> I have always used Matlab and one of the best things was the creation of
> the User Interfaces with GUIDE.
> Now, with Octave, it is more complicated to create an User Interface.
> Therefore, I would like to ask you which is the best way to do that.
>
> I can resume my last hours spent on Google looking for a solution with:
> - Creating a GUI with Octave: tedious and difficult (only command line).
> - Using an external GUI "manager": I found Qt and Glade as possible tools.
> Nevertheless, it is not clear to me what they are and how they can be
> linked with Octave.
>
> Giavux

Hi,

See this preliminary project [1] (I did not try it my self) and this
discussion [2] on the maintainers mailing list .

Basically Glade and Qt designer are drag and drop GUI builders. They produce
a description of the window layout as an xml file that has to be parsed by
an external engine (uic [3] for c++, pyuic for python pyqt ...) to obtain
usable code in whatever language.

Pantxo

[1] https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6o7ilt-fzrhNXFEcjFlSzhnSlE
[2]