Re: Sparse matrices

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: Sparse matrices
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 18:22:55 +0000

Please keep the list in CC and use bottom posting [1] when replying to messages.

> On 5 Mar 2017, at 19:09, Clinton Winant <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Thanks  I want to try sparsersb.  To do this I suppose I ned to rebuild
> octave with a flag such as --with-sparsersb??

No, what made you think such flag exists?

>  Should I also remove sparsesuite from my system??

No.

Here is the instructions for installing packages:
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Installing-and-Removing-Packages.html#Installing-and-Removing-Packages

Be aware that sparsersb WILL NOT transparently improve performance of exixsting
Octave code,
your code will have to be explicitely written to use sparserb and an
appropriate iterative solver.

Actually, what sparsersb really does is just provide a special class of
matrices for which matrix vector product
can be computed very fast.

Also be aware that for small size matrices (i.e. whose full LU factorization
would fit in memory)
the direct solvers from suitesparse will most likely always perform better than
an iterative solver,
especially if you don't have a good preconditioner.

On the other hand iterative solvers are able to solve systems of very large
size that would lead to memory overflow
with a direct method.

c.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting