xlswrite problem on Windows

From: Athanatos
Subject: xlswrite problem on Windows
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:43:26 -0800 (PST)

I'm using 64bit Octave, 4.2, on windows as provided here
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/

I've made a program to extract some data from a game file.
I want to extract said data to a spreadsheet.

I have made an array with the data and meant to use xlswrite to write the
array to a file.
This is my code
http://pastebin.com/mMVyQczt
This is the file I'm extracting the data from
http://pastebin.com/DJ36xbLB

First time I get an error concerning xlswrite

պwarning: Functions for spreadsheet style I/O (.xls .xlsx .sxc .ods .dbf
.wk1
etc.)  are provided in the io package.  See <http://octave.sf.net/io/>.

Please read <http://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.
error: 'xlswrite' undefined near line 33 column 1
error: called from
    extractplatforms at line 33 column 1

Running the command, pkg list, shows that the io package is present, I even
found the xlswrite.m file.
I copied the file to my active folder to workaround octave not finding it.

Now I receive this error

error: 'r_extnd' undefined near line 171 column 27
error: called from
    xlswrite at line 171 column 3
    extractplatforms at line 33 column 1

After searching the error I found these posts
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?49656
http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/io/file/tip/inst/xlswrite.m

>From which I downloaded a fixed version of xlswrite and replaced my own.

This makes a new error in

error: 'parse_sp_range' undefined near line 185 column 36
error: called from
    xlswrite at line 185 column 34
    extractplatforms at line 33 column 1

I've also tried to download the io package from
https://octave.sourceforge.io/io/ and use the xlswrite.m from that, but that
just reverts the error to

error: 'r_extnd' undefined near line 171 column 27
error: called from
    xlswrite at line 171 column 3
    extractplatforms at line 33 column 1

*At this point I'm stuck and I've found no further posts that might help.*

I'd really appreciate any help and possibly even make a permanet fix in case
this isn't limited to my case only?