Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

From: Michael L. Metts
Subject: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 19:35:52 -0800

Hello,

I’ve been attempting to build the current version of Octave on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.3 and I’m running into some issues.  First, let me say that if there’s a YUM repo out there that’s complete, maintained and suitable for RHEL 7, please let me know.  I would much rather that than compiling myself.  I realize that there a maintained repo for Fedora but I wasn’t sure that was kosher – i.e. this is a production machine and I’d like to either have or build nothing but clean apps with no broken features.

All that said, I’ve been following these instructions here http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Red_Hat_Linux_systems and I get these errors from running ./configure:

configure: WARNING: QScintilla library not found; disabling built-in Qt GUI editor

configure: WARNING: Sundials IDA library not configured with IDAKLU, ode15i and ode15s will not support the sparse Jacobian feature

configure: WARNING: ARPACK not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.

This looks to me like the Octave application that would result would be a bit compromised and I’d rather solve these problems (or get maintained binaries for my Linux distribution).

In any case, I’ve poked around a little (see below) and I’m not real clear on how to fix these issues so I can get a clean build.  If anyone can give me a few thoughts on all this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

address@hidden build]$ rpm -qa | grep -i scint

qscintilla-2.8-1.el7.x86_64

qscintilla-devel-2.8-1.el7.x86_64

address@hidden build]$ rpm -qa | grep -i sindial

address@hidden build]$ rpm -qa | grep -i sundials

sundials-2.7.0-6.el7.x86_64

sundials-fortran-2.7.0-6.el7.x86_64

sundials-fortran-devel-2.7.0-6.el7.x86_64

sundials-devel-2.7.0-6.el7.x86_64

address@hidden build]$ rpm -qa | grep -i arpack

arpack-3.1.3-2.el7.x86_64

arpack-devel-3.1.3-2.el7.x86_64

arpack-static-3.1.3-2.el7.x86_64

address@hidden build]$ rpm -ql qscintilla-2.8-1.el7

/usr/lib64/libqscintilla2.so.11

/usr/lib64/libqscintilla2.so.11.0

/usr/lib64/libqscintilla2.so.11.0.0

/usr/lib64/qt4/plugins/designer/libqscintillaplugin.so

/usr/share/doc/qscintilla-2.8

/usr/share/doc/qscintilla-2.8/GPL_EXCEPTION.TXT

/usr/share/doc/qscintilla-2.8/GPL_EXCEPTION_ADDENDUM.TXT

/usr/share/doc/qscintilla-2.8/LICENSE.GPL2

/usr/share/doc/qscintilla-2.8/LICENSE.GPL3

/usr/share/doc/qscintilla-2.8/NEWS

/usr/share/doc/qscintilla-2.8/README

/usr/share/qt4/translations/qscintilla_cs.qm

/usr/share/qt4/translations/qscintilla_de.qm

/usr/share/qt4/translations/qscintilla_es.qm

/usr/share/qt4/translations/qscintilla_fr.qm

/usr/share/qt4/translations/qscintilla_pt_br.qm

/usr/share/qt4/translations/qscintilla_ru.qm