Re: Why isn't Symbolic included in Octave from the installation? - Windo

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: Why isn't Symbolic included in Octave from the installation? - Windows
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:21:56 -0800

Danial,

I've replied with address@hidden CC'd.  Hope that's ok!

On 18/02/17 00:25, Daniel MÃ¥rtensson wrote:
When I try to install your symbolic package why throught the command pkg
install -forge symbolic I got this message.

>> pkg install -forge symbolc
>> error: get_forge_pkg: could not read URL, please verify internet connection

Don't think that's related to Symbolic. I wonder if the octave.sourceforge.io was down for a while or something like that. Try again later?

But to install Symbolic I need to install by using this command  (Need
to be Administratior)

>> Use of uninitialized value in lc at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/utf8_heavy.pl line 123.

The utf8_heavy.pl thing is known, I think its because the Octave package for windows uses an old Perl. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next release of Octave.

Would it not be good if Symbolic is allready included in the
installation package? The other packages for the Windows installation
are included.

You mean in the Octave installation package I assume. I think that's a decision that is made by whoever is making the Windows packages. Possibly Symbolic has been changing quickly recently so that might be a good reason not to bundle it. That and increasing the size of the resulting install file. Of course, its possible Symbolic could get added in a later release.

And as allways. Thank you for developing this package.

You're welcome. Please report any problems, and help us make it better if you can!

best,
Colin