Re: Octave 4.2 under Ubuntu 16.04

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2 under Ubuntu 16.04
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 22:59:02 +0100

Hi E.

Please always keep the mailing list in CC
My answers below

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 9:45 PM, E. Terray <address@hidden> wrote:
> Juan -
>
> Thanks very much for your response.
>
> The reason I posted is that I upgraded Ubuntu from 14.04
> to 16.04.  Under 14.04 I had Octave 3.something (3.8 ?)
> running.  That got upgraded to 4.0 (I don't recall whether
> apt did it as part of the OS upgrade or if I did), but my
> recollection is that I had a working version of Octave.

Probably the links to the executbale was changed, that's why you did
not see th eolder version.

> For reasons that are not entirely clear to me now, I
> decided to remove and re-install Octave using apt.  I
> think it was because I had a lot of additional packages
> installed under Octave 3.8  and it didn't appear that they
> had similarly been upgraded .  So I also used apt to "purge"
> associated stuff.
>
> After installing Octave 4.0 again from the Ubuntu repository
> I found the odd problem that the command window in the
> GUI is unresponsive.  The editor and help tabs appear to
> work normally - for example, I can open a script file in the
> editor and run it, and graphical output seems to be OK.
> The CLI also works OK (thank goodness).

You probably need to remove your local GUI configuration files since
they changed a lot between these two versions
I had a similar issue and got rid of it by removing everything under
~/.config/octave

Be careful, if you have customizations of the gui, just rename the
folder and see if you can port them to the new version.

> I just can't do anything with the command window - totally
> defunct.
>
> I tried removing and installing Octave again (superstitious
> behavior I know) - but I still have the same problem.
>
> I suspect that the "purge" got rid of some critical dependency
> that is not properly restored by installing Octave from the
> Ubuntu repository using apt
>
> My apologies for this long-winded message - it's the
> preamble to my question:  do you know how to fix this
> short of building/installing Octave from scratch?
>
> One other question - if I were to 'make' from the source, is it
> possible (easy?) to arrange EVERYTHING in directories below
> a single topmost directory of my choosing?  I don't know if
> you're familiar with 'anaconda' but that's how things have
> been arranged there.  anaconda will let you have multiple
> versions of Python installed, and it's very nice because all
> of them are branches on a single tree and so you can find
> stuff (unlike the Ubuntu installer which seems to strew
> things all over the place).

I might ot have understood your questions, but you can always select
theinstallation folder by setting
the --prefix option of the configure script, e.g. I run configure of
default in the following way

../default/configure --with-hdf5-includedir=/usr/include/hdf5/serial
--with-hdf5-libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/hdf5/serial
--prefix=/opt/octave_dev/