Re: Detected XLS interfaces: error: '__chk_java_sprt__' undefined

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Detected XLS interfaces: error: '__chk_java_sprt__' undefined
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 10:48:16 -0800 (PST)

Lord Kelvin wrote
> Hi to everyone. I am using Octave Windows version.
>
> I am trying to use A = xlsread('READINGS.xls');
>
> I installed the IO package from Forge io-2.4.5.tar;
>
> Unluckily, I am getting the following error:
> Detected XLS interfaces: error: '__chk_java_sprt__' undefined near line
> 114 column 19 error: called from
> getxlsinterfaces at line 114 column 17
> xlsopen at line 262 column 17
> xlsread at line 197 column 11
>
> My system:
> Octave vers 4.0.3
> Win7 professional 64bit
> Java 8 update 45
>
> Does someone have any advice or suggestion of the error's meaning and how
> to solve it please?
> Really appreciated.

Given the error I think
-either-:
the io package wasn't properly loaded
-or-
the io package installation is borked.

First try:

pkg rebuild

If that doesn't help, try this command in the command window:

cd (strrep (which ("oct2xls"), "oct2xls.m", "private"))

and in the browser pane, then try to locate the file __chk_java_sprt__.m

If it's there you can do the following

addpath (pwd)

and then go back to the subdir your file lives and try again to read it.

But I suspect a reinstallation (first uninstall, restart Octave, maybe do
"pkg rebuild", then install) of the io package might be needed.

Philip