Re: GUI freezes

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: GUI freezes
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 02:48:38 -0800 (PST)

Josef Fydl wrote
> Finally installed with brew. It works, but I can not exit. GUI hangs up
> and I have to restart, sometimes cursor shows busy state that I can not
> even invoke  restart

I am maintaining the brew formula and I am aware of this problem. I think
there is also a bug report on this issues. However, I typically disable the
GUI but if I am using it, it can be stopped by executing "killall
octave-gui" in Terminal.app.
It's a pity but the GUI is not well supported on macOS. There are many more
problems, e.g. when using high-resolution displays [1]. Most of them are
related to the recent transition qt5. I recommend to not use the GUI on
macOS and instead call "octave-cli".

If you are a macOS user and familiar with qt5 we could use your help!

Sebastian

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49053