Re: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 11:09:05 -0500

On 01/06/2017 10:45 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

OCTAVE_CHECK_LIB already uses pkg-config (since July 2016) and already
takes care of all of what you mention. I even added an argument to allow
the name of the library (what Octave calls the library) to differ from
the name of the .pc file (see e.g. portaudio).

How about the attached change?

I think it will work, but OCTAVE_CHECK_LIB doesn't do exactly the right thing for required libraries yet. It will display

  --with-pcre-includedir=DIR
                          look for PCRE include files in DIR
  --with-pcre-libdir=DIR  look for PCRE libraries in DIR
  --without-pcre          don't use PCRE library

in the output of configure --help, but --without-pcre isn't allowed. For required libraries, we could use "--with-LIB=<lib> use LIB library <lib>" instead.

If pcre is disabled or missing, you'll get the following messages:

configure: WARNING: --without-pcre specified. Functions or features that depend on PCRE will be disabled. configure: error: to build Octave, you must have the PCRE library and header files installed

For required libraries, we should probably make the warning an error and not have to check that outside of the macro.

If you agree, I can fix this.

jwe