How to force single precision (32bit) math ? (Octave crash on mixed 32/6

From: hale812
Subject: How to force single precision (32bit) math ? (Octave crash on mixed 32/64bit math)
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 22:17:26 -0800 (PST)

when simulating IIR filter based on biquads (for DSP) I try using standard
filter toolbox.
The problem is that it operates well only with standard double precision
(64bit) math.

And in the DSP is based on 32bit biquad filters. The ultra-precise 64bit
coefficients just give wrong result when truncated to 32bit.

When I try to convert the variables and the resulting SOS coeff. matrix to
single(), OCTAVE crashes without throwing a message.

I suspect, that is caused by mixing 32bit and 64 bit data.

Seems the most straightforward solution would be *forcing* all the math in
the session to single precision.
Is it possible