Re: pkg install -forge issues?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: pkg install -forge issues?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:31:18 -0500

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 12:44:49 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Does this work
> >
> >   [txt, status] = urlread ("http://packages.octave.org/gsl/index.html")
> >

> >>  [txt, status] = urlread ("http://packages.octave.org/gsl/index.html")
> txt =
> status = 0
>

> ? Does it work in your web browser of choice?
> >

> going to
> http://packages.octave.org/gsl/index.html
>
> redirects to
>
> https://octave.sourceforge.io/gsl/index.html
>
> which loads fine.
>

> > Is the Windows distribution unable to cope with the sourceforge ssl
> > certs?
> >
> don't think so.  have no problem manually downloading the package which is
> pulling from https://sourceforge.net

I meant the Windows distribution of Octave, not the Windows OS in
general.

The error with urlread seems to confirm that it can't read the URL, but
without any details about why. I'm only guessing this is because of the
ssl certs. Can you successfully read http URLs but not any https URLs,
taking redirects into account?

Here's a sample set of http URLs that do not automatically redirect to
https

  urlread ("http://www.gnu.org/")
  urlread ("http://www.debian.org/")
  urlread ("http://www.google.com/")

Do these work for you? Do they work with https?

all three return work with http but not https

And circling back to sourceforge, does this URL work

  urlread ("http://mingw.sourceforge.net/")

versus this one

  urlread ("http://octave.sourceforge.net/")

same. http works, https returns 0

Does the Octave bin directory include the curl executable?

yes. there is a curl.exe and a curl-config

Can you try
any failing URLs with "curl -v" and see if any errors or other details
can help indicate what the problem is?

curl -v "http://www.gnu.org"

works.

curl -v "https://www.gnu.org"

returns:

C:\Octave\octave-4.2.0-w64\bin>curl -v "https://www.gnu.org"
* Rebuilt URL to: https://www.gnu.org/
* timeout on name lookup is not supported
*   Trying 208.118.235.148...
* Connected to www.gnu.org (208.118.235.148) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* SSL connection using TLS1.2 / ECDHE_RSA_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
* server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none
* Closing connection 0
curl: (60) server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none
More details here: https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

curl performs SSL certificate verification by default, using a "bundle"
 of Certificate Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). If the default
 bundle file isn't adequate, you can specify an alternate file
 using the --cacert option.
If this HTTPS server uses a certificate signed by a CA represented in
 the bundle, the certificate verification probably failed due to a
 problem with the certificate (it might be expired, or the name might
 not match the domain name in the URL).
If you'd like to turn off curl's verification of the certificate, use
 the -k (or --insecure) option.

Is that it?