Re: using MCR in octave

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: using MCR in octave
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 13:06:54 -0500

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 5:15 AM, mfehse <address@hidden> wrote:
hi

I want use multivariate curve resolution analysis in octave. Is it possible and if so how.

Octave is an environment for implementing mathematical code. as such there's no reason it wouldn't be possible. A quick search does not turn up any already-developed Octave code to do so.  So assuming you are already familiar with the mathematics behind MCR you could begin to implement those procedures in Octave code.

If you're looking for already developed algorithms, I don't see anything named as such.  I do however see the following Matlab code developed by some researchers at CSIC in Spain:

Multivariate Curve Resolution Homepage
https://mcrals.wordpress.com/

They have a MCR-ALS 'toolbox' written for Matlab. Octave is developed with the intent of being able to run Matlab m-code. So you could try downloading the toolbox and seeing whether or not the latest version of octave can run some or all of the functions in the toolbox.  (apparently it's a GUI toolbox, so it's possible the GUI might not be completely functional but the underlying functions might).

https://mcrals.wordpress.com/download/

I see on the MCR-ALS page that they mention the current version is developed for Matlab 2013, and that they maintain an older version that runs better under older editions of Matlab.  Similarly, if you have trouble running the latest version under Octave, it's possible the older version might work.

At a minimum, as the work is shared under a Creative Commons license you should be free to learn from their algorithms and adapt the code to work in Octave.

nickj