Re: Octave crashes on old MEX-files: how can I detect/prevent this?

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Octave crashes on old MEX-files: how can I detect/prevent this?
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 04:47:44 -0800 (PST)

Julien Bect-2 wrote
> When I try "which myfunc" on the faulty MEX-file, I get the following
> error:
>
> error: scope not found!
> error: called from
>      which at line 39 column 22
>
> Is this the one you expect?
>
> What does "scope not found" mean?

That was not the error messages I got and I have no idea about the mentioned
"scope". This hack is only some indication for "something does not work".

Sebastian Schöps wrote

> Julien Bect-2 wrote
>> Thank you Mike for the explanation.
>>
>> But Kai's solution really solves my problem, by providing a mean to
>> detect that the MEX-file must be recompiled.
> Shouln't octave do that for you? Ideally with a dedicated error message?
> I'd say that this should be marked as a bug or feature request at
> savannah.

If there was a clean and priceless solution of detecting this, I would
agree. But the intention to leave the Octave language by using oct/mex-files
is to get fast code. I would bother more passing expensive checks each time
calling a oct/mex-file, than recompiling everything at startup, if
necessary.

Best,
Kai