Re: Mathworks on broadcasting

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Mathworks on broadcasting
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 14:57:30 -0700 (PDT)

NJank wrote
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Sebastian Schöps <

> Sesc@

> > wrote:
>
>> So, MATLAB invented broadcasting:
>>
>> "Other people thought that the new operator behavior was not sufficiently
>> based on linear algebra notation. However, instead of thinking of MATLAB
>> as
>> a purely linear algebra notation, it is more accurate to think of MATLAB
>> as
>> being a matrix and array computation notation. And in that sense, MATLAB
>> has
>> a long history of inventing notation that became widely accepted,
>> including
>> backslash, colon, and various forms of subscripting."
>>

> to be fair, that statement does not say that they invented the notation
> for
> automatic broadcasting, just that they've invented notation that has
> become
> widely accepted for matrix computation, and based on that their use of the
> dot-operators for automatic broadcasting is not something they should
> have
> avoided because it falls outside of typical linear algebra rules.

For me it sounds like that "the new operator" is part of the long tradition
of "inventing notations" but I am not a native speaker.

Francesco Potortì wrote
> As a side note, I am very happy with Octavés broadcast capability, which
> has been very useful to me since it was introduced.

Me too :) Albeit, I would be glad if it could be turned off for
teaching/debugging purposes. I think there are still discussion at savannah
on this, e.g., https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46929