Re: optim leasqr with more than one independent variable

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: optim leasqr with more than one independent variable
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 12:53:53 +0200

>Can you give an example of how to use leasqr function in optim with a
>function that has more than one independent variable?
>
>I have searched online, and cannot find any examples of how to do it.

Stephen,

don't have the time to do it right now, but here are instructions:

- start from the one-dimensional problem at

http://www.krizka.net/2010/11/01/non-linear-fitting-using-gnuoctave-and-leasqr/,
  where a linear function is used: try it and verify that it works for
  you

- substitute the 1-D linear function with something else in 2-D, for
  example a 2-D Gaussian, or the sombrero() function which is part of
  Octave

- see if you can make the example work with the new 2-D function and
  come back here with details if you don't manage

- It would be very nice if, after creating your example, you wrote an
  example page in the Octave wiki for the leasqr function

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107