Re: Need to know what to do and where to go for GSoC 2017

From: Oliver Meyer-Friedrichs
Subject: Re: Need to know what to do and where to go for GSoC 2017
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 18:49:30 +0200

Dear Abhilash,
you find all information on the GSoC application process at https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/.

To answer your questions:
1. How and where to start learning about Octave.
Searching for "octave","tutorial"you'll find many introductions to octave, although you should already be experienced in octave if you want to apply for GSoC.
2. Whom to contact to get help.
For GSoC you need a mentor. First decide on a project that you are interested in and capable of accomplishing. Ask on this list or elsewhere for volunteers to mentor your project and convince them that you'll succeed by presenting examples of your previous work.
3. How to start developing the projects.
What do you mean, precisely?

My best wishes for success!
Olli

Hello

I am a student of Computer Science from India. I am really interested
in taking part in Google Summer of Code. For that I really liked
Octave's projects and I feel I do have the required skill set for the
same.

But I am not sure where to start whom to ask what and hoe to learn
about what I need to do. I did visited the octave's wiki pages about
GSoC, and Projects and Small projects pages to get a rough idea. Now
that I am interested I am not able to find the docs for octave for how
to hack around and about the Octave Forge.

I would be grateful if you could help me in knowing the following:

1. How and where to start learning about Octave.
2. Whom to contact to get help.
3. How to start developing the projects.

Thank you

--
NVS Abhilash