Re: Arduino to octave

From: Giorgio De Nunzio
Subject: Re: Arduino to octave
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 18:23:14 +0200

Il 10/10/2016 13:00, Andreas Weber ha scritto:
Hi Giorgio,

Am 09.10.2016 um 17:57 schrieb address@hidden:
I've recently been working on data acquisition from an arduino by the
serial channel and the Instrument Control  package.
It was not so easy: it seemed that some data were missed from time to
time, but I've never understood why. I now perform some error checking and
sometimes I lower the baud rate.
I've used serial communication between AVRs (for example ATMega32) and
GNU Octave with baudrates of 500 kbaud without any problems. Do you use
interrupt driven serial out on the AVR side? Is the output buffer big
enough? For reading the data in GNU Octave I suggest reading bigger
chunks at once (perhaps 500 Bytes) and then split it, put the rest back
in the input buffer and draw then.

-- Andy

Hi Andy,
I am using an arduino and its serial library from C, so I don't know
exactly how data sending is organized at low level.
Anyway I'll soon begin experimenting again (taking your suggestions into
consideration), so as to understand where my mistake was. I'll ask on
the List, if necessary.
I find interesting the idea of type casting to use binary data: till now
I have always sent text messages, which is not necessarily practical.

Just one note: I realized that the buffer is not emptied when read
(arduino sends, octave reads: if I stop octave script and start it
again, data are reread).
Is this normal? Is it possible to forcefully empty the buffer (from the
pc side) so that only new readings are read from that point on? It was
just a rapid test I did, so perhaps I am missing something.
Thanks
Ciao
Giorgio

--
Dr. Giorgio De Nunzio PhD
Dipart. di Matematica e Fisica "Ennio De Giorgi", Univ. del Salento

---
Questa e-mail รจ stata controllata per individuare virus con Avast antivirus.