Re: Octave in the Jupyter notebook / Windows

From: pehache
Subject: Re: Octave in the Jupyter notebook / Windows
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:45:43 +0200

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:07 AM, pehache <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Could someone manage to *properly* use Octave in the Jupyter notebook on Windows ?

It looks like there a kind of noshow, according to this : https://github.com/Calysto/octave_kernel/issues/28

In short : any Octave syntax error breaks the communication between the kernel and the notebook, and the only thing to do is to restart the kernel (and recompute all the cells...). Not practical at all...

Are you saying that

http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/Calysto/octave_kernel/blob/master/octave_kernel.ipynb

is not working?

Er.. no, this is not what I'm saying. Indeed this notebook is working, as would work any notebook with a proper syntax.

I'm saying that in case of any syntax error in an Octave command/statement, the Octave kernel gets disconnected from the notebook and has to be manually restarted, which also means that all the cells have to be recomputed. In addition, the error message for the syntax error is not shown in the notebook (since the kernel has disconnected).

So it is working, but in practice it is almost impossible to use : syntax errors are frequently done when developping/prototyping (can be for instance typing "plop" instead of "plot", or whatever), and a lot of time is lost in Jupyter if each time one has to 1) guess where is the error (no error message) 2) restart the kernel 3) recompute all the cells

This is apparently a know problem with Jupyter+Octave in Windows. But maybe some people have a solution, hence my original post.