Re: texinfo no longer covered in manual?

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: texinfo no longer covered in manual?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 17:36:36 +0100

On 11 October 2016 at 14:11, Martin Kunz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The documentation of Octave 4.0.3 (and earlier, I think) contained a
> section "Documentation Tips" (C.4) which I consulted often, especially
> to read on texinfo markup. I cannot find this or a comparable section in
> 4.2.0-rc2.
>
> Section 2.3, "Commands for Getting Help", advices to see the section
> "Function Files" for information about how to document self-written
> functions, but don's see anything relevant there.
>
> Did this (to my mind very useful) information get lost?

We moved most of that stuff to the Octave wiki.  The idea is to make the
Octave manual more of a Language Reference so things like tips on how to
write nice help text, configure emacs, Octave coding style, and mercurial
instructions got moved to the wiki.

Some of the text in the section you mention is on the wiki [1] but not all.
There is info on how to document, but not a list of texinfo markup.  The
old version manual is still online [2].  Do you think you may be able to
improve on that wiki section with the type of content you would want?

Carnë

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Help_text
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Documentation-Tips.html