Re: Arduino to octave

From: giorgio . denunzio
Subject: Re: Arduino to octave
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 17:57:41 +0200

Hi Gabriel and Andy,

> Hi Gabriel,
>
> Am 09.10.2016 um 12:05 schrieb Gabriel Soo:
>> Isit possible to read data from octave? Since the octave(pc software)
>> can only analysis digital data, the analog signal that fed into
>> arduino(ADC) is convert into digital form, now the octave(with
>> instrument-control package installed) is able to read the serial com
>> that is connected to the arduino.
>
> Yes, this is possible using the "instrument-control" package
>

>> Here's the problem, what command
>> should we use in octave to gain those data? We going to use those data,
>> to plot a graph.
>
> This depends how you send the data from the arduino? Are you using
> strings (you convert the integers or double to string before sending) or
> are you using some binary communication?
>
> Basically you'll create a serial object, read data into a buffer using
> srl_read and then convert them. For binary data there is "typecast".
>
> -- Andy

I've recently been working on data acquisition from an arduino by the
serial channel and the Instrument Control  package.
It was not so easy: it seemed that some data were missed from time to
time, but I've never understood why. I now perform some error checking and
sometimes I lower the baud rate. I finally have something that works quite
good (it is a kind of obstacle-checking sonar for a future small robot).
I can send you some example code, if you wish.
Best
Giorgio