Re: Octave 4.2.0 opening warning

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2.0 opening warning
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 19:32:14 +0200

Mike Miller wrote:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 17:35:39 -0400, Vic Norton wrote:
That was the right question, Carlo.

I had exactly three packages in my ~/octave folder.
   financial-0.5.0
   io-2.4.1
   newmarkowitz-1.0.0  (my own package, which doesn’t use any others)
Apparently io-2.4.1 caused the problem. Once I threw that out the problem
disappeared.

I have had no such error message
    warning: octave_config_info is obsolete and will be removed from a
    future version of Octave, please use  __have_feature__  or
    __octave_config_info__  instead.
with previous homebrew installations of octave
    4.0.3, 4.0.3_2, 4.0.3_3, 4.0.3_4
It just cropped up with the installation of 4.4.0-rc2 yesterday. Apparently
this version of homebrew Octave and io-2.4.1 don’t get along.

They actually do get along just fine, which is why the message you are
seeing is only a warning, not an error.

Thanks for confirming that it is the io package that is generating this
warning message.

Since Philip already participated in this thread, it's clear that he
knows about this change and that a future version of the io package will
be fixed to not use this deprecated function call.

In fact this has already been fixed a while ago in
http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/io/rev/31f49299004b
for io-2.4.2. Current io is at release 2.4.3.

Philip